Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Assignment #9

Information Environment

Information is a definite knowledge acquired or supplied about something or somebody.

Environment is the surrounding influences or all the external factors influencing the life and activities.

- - - - -

Having defined the terms we can say that information environment is a surrounding wherein a definite knowledge is acquired and supplied.

There are many kinds of information environment wherein information is being gathered, processed, used, stored, and updated according to the specifications of the one in need of the information. Classic example of this information environment is the internet.

Presently, I am part of the information environment of the University of Southeastern Philippines. My role in this environment is a student learning and aiming to gather skills and information I could use when I graduate (hopefully…). In this information environment I gather information through the aid of my instructors and classmates. Gathering the said information and knowledge is very tough…
And to address these challenges I use more information environment. For my assignments and projects I consult the library and internet. As a user of this information I will set a better example for the students to follow. Libraries are a really great place it has been my solace since elementary. When you are in the library you can be anyone or anywhere you want. It took you places you’ve never been. Information’s are flowing in the library all you have to do is grab a book and read. Because of my attachment to the library it really took a long time for me to trust information from the internet. It is because news spread that there are many fraud information placed in there. Other than that wikipedia does strike me because in there information could be edited, so we student are not certain if the information is correct and accurate. We students could prevent this happening by posting only credible information and avoid distorting the information in the page.

Another challenge in this information environment is the difficulty of subjects and tasks. To address this challenge is a tough fight indeed. Personally just being in USEP is a challenge and at the same time pressure. Since difficulty in the subjects cannot be helped I just study harder to get a passing grade. Part of this study is the tutorials me and my classmates attended. From time to time we also did some group study to understand recent mind puzzling lessons. In this way we share information and learning’s providing more areas in development.

Facilities have also become a challenge for me in this information environment. On my first arrival here in the university we are so many in the section therefore the computer units available do not suffice our number. Also we don’t have our own building and it’s difficult for us student to look for a room where we can stay or have classes.

But recently problems in the facilities have been addressed in terms of additional and new computer units. Now we could use a computer one by one during laboratories (I think its because almost one fourth of our population is gone…bwahaha…).

Information environment is made up of three interrelated dimensions: physical, informational, and cognitive. The physical dimension is composed of the command and control systems, and supporting infrastructures that enable individuals and organizations to conduct operations. In the university physical dimension includes the equipments we use in learning such as the monitor, system units, mouse, keyboard and programs. The informational dimension is where the information is collected, processed, stored, displayed and protected. In addition, in Informational Dimension it is where the automated decision takes place. The Informational dimension links physical and cognitive dimensions. So in short, the informational dimension serves as the medium for the first and the third dimension. The key characteristics are as follows: information content and information quality. Information has its own criteria to ensure its quality and validity. Example of which is accuracy, whether the information given is expressing the true situation. Next will be the relevance of the information, this will answer the question of whether the information can be applied or used in the current situation. Then, usability, it refers to the information that is in common and easily understood. Completeness refers to the information that provides the decision maker with all the date needed. And lastly security, it refers to the information that has been afforded adequate protection when required. Last dimension is cognitive this the period wherein we apply our learnings through making programs, implementing it and developing our critical thinking skills.

After graduation hopefully, I really want to pursue art. I think most likely this is the information environment I will and want to be in. Since art is very broad I would like to define that I’m more interested in designing. True I could use what I’ve learned from IT in designing and developing web sites. Fusing art and information technology I could apply it in multimedia industry. I could create and innovate new forms of showcasing interior designing which I would really love to do. Multimedia industry also includes advertisement, graphics, audio and video, and most especially animations. Back then I really wanted to be an anime artist and I believed that nowadays creating anime uses new technologies and animations. I’m still not definite on what I will specialize in this type of information environment but I want to learn more and grow in art with the aid of information technology.


I hope that everyone will be successful in their chosen information environment.^^

No comments:

Post a Comment